Supported by Beep's Burgers In this week’s newsletter, Supervisor Myrna Melgar on her reelection campaign, and then: * Jose Ortega
2022 District 7 Participatory Budgeting Winners Announced
Nine projects won enough votes from district residents to be awarded $50,000 each.
District Seven Supervisor Myrna Melgar announced the winners of the Participatory Budgeting in late July.
Of the 11 project proposals put before the district's residents, nine garnered 400 or more votes which was required to win. 1,270 people voted in this year’s cycle. Each will be funded with $50,000.
Tw0 winning proposals were for neighborhood projects.
Aptos Middle School proposed building a community vegetable garden with seating and memorial space along with an emergency response hub stocked with emergency supplies.
Commodore Sloat Parent’s Community proposed adding to the schoolyard benches, a volleyball net, basketball hoops and painting a baseball diamond on the blacktop.
It's unclear whether any "Neighbors Fests" will be held in the greater Ingleside. A representative from the supervisor's office could not be reached by press time.
Fund for the winning projects will be routed to the appropriate city departments over the next six to eight weeks.
The winning proposals:
- Teen Workforce Development Program
- Safety and Traffic Flow Upgrade: Intersection at Yerba Buena Avenue and Miraloma Drive
- More trash cans = less litter in Lakeside Village
- Creating space for communication, congregation and collective action for emergency preparedness
- Monterey Business District Public Space
- Sloat Community Sports Hub
- Teresita at Reposa: Preventing fatal pedestrian collisions
- Extend West Portal Monthly Recovery and Beautification Event
- Fund Neighbor Fests in D7 to Promote Community Building and Resilience
Support independent community news
No media outlet covers our neighborhood like The Ingleside Light. Full stop.
Reader support sustains the expensive reporting our community needs and deserves. Will you join the hundreds of readers and become a member?